Fall is here and so is National Apple month, so bring on the apples! To celebrate, I’m doing a recipe blitz this week, with three fun sweet ideas to celebrate this special fruit. Fresh apples are one of my favorite parts of Fall. Pairing apples and caramel is a close second. Now, add a little ice cream to said apples and caramel and that can’t be a bad thing! These Caramel Apple Ice Cream Sundaes are to die for and a great treat for both kids and adults.
There are so many different types of apples to choose from these days….red, green, tart, sweet. I find that grocery stores are bringing in more of a variety of apples these days too. I wondered, how many different kinds of apples are there? In the US alone, there are over 2,500! Crazy! I haven’t tried even close to that many kinds of apples, but I think my favorite is Gala. It’s not too tart and not to sweet and perfect for this particular recipe.
My daughter Samantha is 5 and loves to cook. When I started the blog, she told me, “Mom, can I do a blog too? I want to be just like you!”. So now every time I start cooking, she wants to make a recipe too. She agreed to help me with this recipe, although she likes to come up with her own creations!
Serve this caramel apple sauce warm over cold ice cream. It melts all over the ice cream into one big puddle of goodness. The apples are soft and sweet and the caramel sauce is rich and delicious. These sundaes taste just like you’re biting into a warm piece of apple pie topped with vanilla ice cream. The kids even added some whipped cream on top! I highly recommend you try this out for a quick and easy weeknight dessert and celebrate…apples!
What’s your favorite type of apple?
If you make this recipe, make sure you share a photo with me, I’d love to see all of your creations! #SaporitoKitchen
Pinterest: Saporito Kitchen
Facebook: Saporito Kitchen
Caramel Apple Ice Cream Sundaes
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 Gala apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch kosher salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups vanilla bean ice cream
- In a medium sauce pan over medium high heat, melt butter. Add in sugar and stir to combine. Add in apples and boil for 7-9 minutes, until apples are soft and sauce has thickened slightly.
- Remove pan from the heat and stir in cinnamon, salt and heavy cream. Put back on the heat and boil for 2-3 more minutes until ingredients are combine and sauce has thickened.
- Spoon ice cream in individual cups or bowls. Top with warm apple caramel sauce.