Today’s topic? Winter citrus. It truly is something delicious that peaks in flavor during the dreary Winter season. Since we are coming to the end of that window, I have to share this recipe ASAP! Bruleed Grapefruit for Two is a sweet little dish that makes Sunday morning something really special. Even Tuesday afternoons.
Growing up in Arizona, citrus trees are very popular. We had a few in our backyard when I was little and we loved it. I remember when I was young going into the backyard and making pea soup with all of the green, small, severely unripened fruit. My friend and I picked most of them off of the tree to make our “pea soup” and let me tell you, mom was not happy! Whoops!
This recipe goes out to my mom for two reasons. One, sorry for stealing all your citrus that season! Two, because she loves grapefruit almost as much as I do. She was the one that introduced me to this delicious little gem, so I decided to come up with something just for her.
I love the tart and tangy grapefruit paired with the sweet brown sugar and crunchy toasted pecans. You can eat these with your special someone for breakfast, a lazy Sunday brunch, or a special afternoon treat. I have one word of caution to you when making this. When you are broiling, keep a close eye on this. Everyone’s oven is different and you need to watch this carefully. Don’t take your eyes off of it, not even for a minute! Trust me, you will be happy you listened to me on this one.
Don’t forget, if you make one of my recipes, make sure you share a picture of it with me!
You can post and tag me, I’d love to see all of your creations! #SaporitoKitchen
Pinterest: Saporito Kitchen
Facebook: Saporito Kitchen
Pin This Recipe Now!
Brûléed Grapefruit for Two
- 2 each ruby red grapefruit
- 3 Tablespoons chopped pecans
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch kosher salt
- Preheat the broiler on your oven.
- Sliced grapefruit in half place in a baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, pecans, nutmeg, ginger, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Divide pecan and sugar mixture evenly amongst the grapefruit halves.
- Place in your oven under the broiler for 3-5 minutes until sugar is melted and caramelized and pecans and lightly toasted. ***Watch carefully, this will burn VERY easily!!***