Salty ham and sharp cheddar cheese adorne these light and fluffy homemade biscuits. Great served with whipped honey butter for brunch or a quick breakfast on the go.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (cut in small pieces)
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup diced black forest ham
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (for greasing pan)
- Preheat a cast iron pan in the oven at 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, add flour, baking powder and salt and stir to combine with a wooden spoon.
- Add in cold butter pieces and cut into the flour with a pastry cutter or fork until butter pieces are pea sized and well incorporated into the flour.
- Add in buttermilk, ham and cheese and stir with wooden spoon until the mixture just comes together.
- Place the bowl with the biscuit dough in the freezer for 5 minutes to make sure the ingredients are cold.
- While you are waiting for the dough, add 2 Tablespoons of butter to the preheated cast iron pan in the oven and let it completely melt.
- Once the butter is melted, remove pan from the oven using a oven mitt (it will be hot!). Remove dough from the freezer and scoop out of the bowl into 8 equal rounds and place in the preheated and buttered cast iron pan.
- Place the pan with the biscuits back in the oven and bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes until tops and edges of the biscuits are golden brown.
- Category: Breakfast, Side Dish, Snack
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 239
Keywords: biscuit, biscuits, brunch, cheddar, cheese, ham